Monday 5 September 2011

Lone Wolf devours Turkey

I trust my last blog left your mouths watering for more delicious Turkey. Dinner is now served. This delectable offering comes with a side of creamy culture, a helping of history and some parr boiled partying. Feel free to complete the feast with some turkish delight.

After a slight rocky patch (pun) in Cappadocia I made my way east, via Izmir, to Selcuk. The main draw card here is the ancient Greek and Roman city of Ephesus, just out of town. There are so many ruins left you can really imagine what this city must of felt like. Pretty amazing.


Slightly less impressive, but also right down the road, is one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World the Temple of Artemis. Sadly this is all that remains....


yep, one pillar. Wow. Thankfully I've already seen the Great Pyramids of Giza so can cross another off that list. I then also visited the house where the Virgin Mary died, leant how to make carpet and watched a leather fashion parade. All-in-all one big Turkish day out.

From here I scooted inland and made a bee-line for the breathtaking hot springs and travertines of Pamukkale. Check the photos (more on FB)... they barely do it justice.


After spending the afternoon "pool side", I retired back to the town and rested for my LONG bus ride the following day. After "nine turkish hours", better known as 12 hours for normal people, I arrived at the northwestern city of Canakkale. Like thousands of Australians and New Zealanders before me, I was drawn here for one simple reason - Gallipoli.

Only a short ferry ride across the Dardanelles and I was whisked back 96 years and immersed myself in the stories and history of the ANZAC's and their infamous campaign.


The Gallipoli day trip was without a doubt one of the highlights of my whole overseas adventure. Simply a must-do for any Australian or New Zealander who gets the chance. Truly moving.


After the quiet reflection of Gallipoli I launched myself head first into the melting pot that is Istanbul. This place is unique and offers a great mix of culture, history, food, shopping and shenanigans!

I started out by filling my culture quoter by tackling the two big players in town, the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque. Both were mind blowing! The detailed construction, decoration and sheer size makes for impressive structures. I enjoyed them both so much during the day, I came back at night to see them lit up and sparkling.


From here I ducked underground and explored the eery and cool Basilica Cistern. This subterranean structure is complete with mood lighting, countless columns, giant Medusa head pillars and even some fish! Very cool side of the city.


The next day I strapped on my shopping stilettos and hit the streets. I roamed the maze-like Grand Bazaar with 4000 different shops selling exactly the same things and then wondered over to the Spice Bazaar where I gorged myself of turkish delight, nuts and dried fruits. Thankfully I controlled myself and only brought a few snacks to share back at the hostel.


After a hard day on my feet, (stilettos can really hurt), I decided I should live like a Sultan and check out Topkapi Palace. This sprawling estate was super luscious and overflowing with obscene wealth. Those crazy Sultans really knew how to live it up. Highlights had to be the beautiful view over the Bosporus river and the collection of giant swords made out of gold and jewels. Bling never goes out of fashion baby.

After seeing it from a far, the following day I jumped on a ferry and sailed the Bosporus river that separates the European and Asian halves of Istanbul. I eventually reached the ocean and spent a few hours exploring a small town with its own ancient castle. Pretty good way to spend a relaxing day.


On my final day I kept it classy and sampled the amazing Burger Turk with some partners in crime from the hostel. We then spent the rest of the day checking out the "alternative" part of Istanbul, Taksim. We rounded out the day by watching Justin get a super sweet tattoo from a cool Georgian woman and her crazy fire twirling assistant.


Really cool people to hang out with and while away the hours in one of Europe's most interesting cities. After almost a whole month it was finally time to say goodbye to the delicious Turkey. Good times were had by all. Next destination, Germany. PROST!

No comments:

Post a Comment